Oregon law requires nearly anyone who alters a structure or builds a home to be licensed by the Construction Contractors Board. This includes handymen, plumbers, electricians, pavers, and remodelers.
Why is it important to hire licensed contractors?
- You can look up 10 years of history on any contractor’s license.
- The CCB offers dispute resolution services to homeowners in dispute with their licensed contractor.
- Licensed contractors must pass a test on Oregon laws and rules and are required to have liability insurance and a bond.
Before signing a contract or hiring a contractor, ask for their CCB number. Verify it’s active on our website at http://search.ccb.state.or.us/search/.
Home improvement projects can get complicated. CCB’s guide, Selecting and Working with a Contractor can help you throughout the process. In the guide you’ll learn:
- How to find and select a contractor
- What to expect in the bidding process
- How to negotiate a contract
- Benefits of using licensed contractors
- Dangers of using unlicensed contractors
- How (and why!) to verify a contractor’s license
- What you need to know about building permit
…and more! You can download it from our website, or send us an email with your mailing address and we will send you a hard copy!