ODFW Recreation Report
May 22, 2019
Free Fishing Weekend events in Southern Oregon
Oregonian’s can fish, crab, and clam for free during Free Fishing Weekend, June 1-2. Events held around Southern Oregon give families an opportunity to try their hand at landing a trout.
The following events held are Saturday, June 1 unless noted:
- Eel Lake at Tugman State Park, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. At a series of stations, kids will learn how to identify fish, tie knots, and cast along with fishing courtesy and water safety. Kids 12 and under can have the chance to catch trout out of a net pen. Lunch is provided.
- Arizona Pond, Sunday, June 2from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. The annual Elk River Hatchery free fishing event moved to Arizona Pond located 15 miles south of Port Orford on Highway 101 across from Prehistoric Gardens. This event is open for youth age 17 and under and is hosted by Elk River Hatchery and Oregon State Parks. Rods, reels, bait and tackle will be provided for the event, along with ice and bags so kids can take their fish home. Volunteers can help young anglers and Port Orford Rotary is providing lunch and refreshments. A raffle will be held at noon. ODFW is stocking 800 legal-sized and 300 trophy trout. Information: David Chambers, 541-332-7025.
- Libby Pond, 8:00 a.m. – 12 p.m. This event is for kids 13 and younger. Sign-up for prizes begins at 8 a.m., and the event features lunch, prize drawings, and loaner fishing equipment. Adults are encouraged to help their young ones fish. Help will also be on hand from Curry Anadromous Fishermen, Oregon South Coast Fishermen, ODFW and the U.S. Forest Service who are all sponsoring the event. Libby Pond is about eight miles up North Bank Rd., Gold Beach.
- Cooper Creek, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. This popular event has a kiddie pond stocked with trout for kids up to 12 years old, loaner rods and reels, casting lessons, and a fish cleaning station. Once kids go through an education station, they get a ticket for raffle drawings. Free hot dogs and Pepsi.
- Diamond Lake, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. This fishing derby is for kids 17 and younger. Check-in begins at 6 a.m. at the resort’s marina. There will be prizes for biggest fish by different age classes so kids should check in their trout for measurement at the Marina by 2 p.m. There will be door prizes and hot dogs in front of the resort after check-out concludes.
- Lake Marie, Sunday, June 2from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. for kids 14 and under. Registration begins at 9 a.m. New this year is a fishing pen for kids 10 and younger. Rods and reels will be available, along with help for first-time anglers. Kids can enter a casting contest. Hot dogs and soda are free to kids with a nominal charge for adults to help pay for next year’s event.
- Fish Lake, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. The BLM and USFS will have rods, tackle and bait on a first come, first served basis. Smokey the Bear will be at the event which includes fun activities for kids.
- Lake Selmac, 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Josephine County’s only Free Fishing Weekend event is sponsored by the Middle Rogue Steelheaders and ODFW’s Angler Education program. Rods and reels are available for loan and bait is provided.
All other regulations apply including bag limit and size restrictions. People who already have a combined tag for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and halibut are encouraged to use it as it provides data for fish managers.