How do you get a fantastic workout and a free facial all in one fell swoop?
Low impact, aerobic exercise, involving an activity you love, will give you that beauty boost. Why? It’s because your skin will get a good cleansing; the facial flush of improved circulation pinks up your cheeks and allows your pores to open up and sweat. Of course, you will want to pay attention to skin hygiene before and immediately after your workout, to realize the full benefits of your “exercise mini-facial”.
Experts also recommend – if you are exercising outdoors – working out before 10 AM or after 4 PM in order to protect your skin from sunburn and intense mid-day UV rays. Skin cancer is real, and a little prevention (and/or a healthy nontoxic sunscreen) can go a long way to keeping you safe.
What about those dark circles under the eyes? Well, a fun, rewarding workout may also help you sleep better that night. And better sleep (combined with a healthy diet) inevitably means better- looking skin (and fewer eye bags) the next morning.
Regular exercise can also ramp up your feel-good hormones, strengthen your muscles and boost your outlook on life. An essential part of feeling beautiful is feeling confident and comfortable in your own skin; the key is to get moving in a way that feels good to you so it is easier to maintain a schedule of exercise you enjoy.
For great skin, don’t forget to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. If you don’t like drinking plain water, get plain sparkling water and add a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice; it’s delicious!
Here are some ideas you may not have thought of, to have fun, exercise, and get that healthy
- Go paddleboarding at one of our beautiful southern Oregon lakes, such as Applegate Lake. ( http://applegatelake.com/home.html )
- Play pickleball at the Grants Pass YMCA (https://www.places2play.org/place?id=3689)
- Hike Upper or Lower Table Rock – the view at the top is fantastic! (https://www.oregon.com/recreation/hike-table-rocks)
- Try rock climbing in a cool, climate-controlled environment indoors! Visit Rogue Rock Gym, Indoor Climbing and Fitness Center (https://www.roguerockgym.com/) is located near Highway 99 and South Stage Road in Medford; they are open seven days a week from 10 AM to 10 PM.
- Dancing: Sign up for west coast swing dance classes at the Evergreen Ballroom in Central Point (http://www.candeladancestudio.com/regional-dance-calendar.html)
- For advanced athletes, ride your bike around all 33 miles of Crater Lake National Park Rim Drive. (https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm)
- Try a hot yoga class in Ashland (https://www.facebook.com/hotyogaashland/) Hot yoga is not for everyone; you might check out this article for tips first, to see if it is right for you: https://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/yoga/the-benefits-of-hot-yoga/
For more information on this topic, here are links to several great articles on skin health and exercise: